Sunday, April 9, 2017

Week 9

Hello again!


Another week has gone flown by here in Labasa! 

Lots happened this week. We have been working really hard and it is exhausting. 

The language is coming good. Well it's coming very slow, but I'm trying hard. It's can be frustrating because we don't have any Hindi books to study from, so I have to learn everything from just asking and listening to how they pronounce it. I've written down lots of flashcard, but I have to guess how everything is spelled because Hindi isn't spelled using the English alphabet. I have gotten down some basic stuff, but it's a looooong road ahead of me. 

We have been out a lot this week going door to door to try and find those people who are ready to hear the gospel. We have gotten to meet a couple really awesome people. We met one lady named Vidia who's son passed away last year. She was really sad when she told us. We told her that we are her sons now and she started crying. She is great. I know this gospel can help her and I am excited for our next lesson with her tomorrow. 

Lots of the areas we proselyte in are very spread out so that can make it hard. We don't have a truck in this area and so we take the bus everywhere we go. The bus is really cheap. Flat rate of 70 cents or 35 American cent wherever you want to go. I'll put a picture below I took of a river from inside the bus. Most of our investigators right now are in a place called Siberia. It is about 30-40 minutes from the city. 

Yesterday we had dinner again at the Vosa's and we had pig with roro and kasava. It was sooooo good. The one thing that is different here is they don't take the meat of the pig off the rest of the body. They just like chop up the whole pig and throw it in the pot. I took a picture of the nose of the pig we were eating, which was on Elder Tony's plate! I'll send it in this email too! Sometimes when you are eating it you taste something that doesn't taste right and is like a super weird texture. That's when you just swallow quick. Other than a couple exceptions though the food here is very, very good!

Oh I ate my first Indian meal with my hands this week. It was a very interesting and messy experience haha. It went alright thought, although I was a little uneasy the whole time because no one washes their hand before eating. I just was thinking of all the germs the entire time. I totally get that from my mom. 

Another random thing is, there are tons of frogs here. Like thousands and thousands. If you're not careful you step on them really easily. I'll send a pic below. Hopefully it's clear enough to see.

I get to go on exchanges tomorrow with Elder Larson and I am wayyyy pumped! He's such a cool kid and I will get to see a new area, Naosori. 

Weight update: Gained 10 lbs in the MTC and in the 3 weeks in Fiji I have already lost all 10. Looks like I'm destined to be skinny. At least so far haha.

Oliva is the ward mission leader in our branch. He's 18 and is really cool. He comes with us to lessons a lot. He has been waiting for his call for a while and he finally got it this week. Guess where he got called? Fiji Suva Mission!! We are so excited! He speaks Hindi, so there is a good chance that he will be called into the Hindi program as well, which means there is a way good change we will be companions! So cool! He's the guy in the picture with me! 

I've heard that lots of you back home have your papers in! That's so exciting! Part of me is sad that I can't be there to experience it all together with you guys, but I am soooo excited to hear where you're all going to go. Make sure to keep me updated asap.

I love you all so much. 

Thank you for all the words of encouragement! 

Thanks for all the love!

Namaste.


--
Elda Hess

pig snout in our dinner
thousands and thousands of frogs here!

Oliva, our ward mission leader who just got called to our FIJI, SUVA mission!!
view from bus



YUM! Pig snout! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment